Book Review of The Selection

When this book was recommended to me by a couple of my friends, I decided to read it with high hopes, and it did not disappoint.

In The Selection, the country of Illea is sorted into 7 social classes: One (royalty), Two (celebrities), Three (intellectuals, like teachers, inventors, doctors, etc.), Four (businessmen), Five (performers and artists), Six (servants), and Seven (manual labor). Our protagonist, America Singer—a Five—is one of 35 girls between the ages of 16 and 22 chosen to participate in the Selection. For context, the Selection is a competition to marry the crown prince, Maxon, and become the crown princess. As the 35 Selected gather in the palace to compete, America not only must survive the cut-throat competition, but she must also stay safe when the palace is attacked by rebels. At first America did not want Maxon’s affection. She only attended the Selection to avoid her boyfriend, whom she got into a fight with. However, as she befriends Maxon, something more than friendship sparks between them.

One quality of the book that makes it unique is its setting. The plot takes place in a dystopian future of our world, with a new country called Illea replacing the United States. The United States transitioned from a democracy into a monarchy. From the third World War to the Chinese assault to the Russian invasion, the United States’s reputation was tattered beyond repair. I feel that not only is it surprisingly believable and realistic, but it also makes the story far more interesting knowing the country’s history. Additionally, it is so creative how Roberts came up with all these events transitioning from the United States to Illea.

The way the writing gives lots of personality and emotion also stood out to me. I can practically feel America’s emotions throughout the entire book. I can easily tell she is very honest and true to her opinions. Her dynamic character was very engaging to read as her feelings changed with her surroundings, though she still held on to her morals. Not only the protagonist, but each character has their own unique personality. Maxon’s courtesy, Marlee’s liveliness, and Celeste’s haughty demeanor, just to name a few.

My favorite character in the entire book is Maxon. His extremely caring attitude of everybody around him makes him attractive. No matter how busy he is, he will still make time to get to know all the Selected. As he and America were talking, I liked how open he was. He discussed his problems with her and was open to suggestions. I also enjoyed that aspect about him, how he was willing to take other people’s thoughts into careful consideration. Then, he'd contemplate on them and change his plan as he sees fits. However, he will not let his opinions be overlooked and will stand up for whatever he believes is right.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book, romance with just a touch of action. It keeps me on my toes with events happening back-to-back. After I finished the first book, I immediately wanted to read the next book in this five-book series.

 -Joyce Zheng

 

Comments

  1. This looks like an amazing read!
    And from the looks of it, it is kind of giving off Hunger Games vibes, with the classes, and an invitation to a 'cut-throat competition', as you said. But one question I have for the book is whether or not there are consequences to the Selection. Is there a punishment to not being Maxon's chosen spouse? Or do they just go back to their normal lives had never happened.
    And follow-up question! Can girls from any class participate or is it you have to be higher than a certain class?
    Anyways, looks like an amazing book to read! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't have to participate, but being in the competition is every girls dream. Also any girl can participate, though it seems biased to the upper class.

      Delete
  2. I like it. How Mattox said, it sounds like the hunger games but with less dead and more romance.
    it sounds good tho, I am not surprised how popular it become, thanks to the drama and pull-pulling story the book has.
    Also, how old is Maxon? pls don't say 35 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book too a few years ago and you are totally correct about everything! This book was so entertaining and I used to be obsessed with the series. I really recommend this book if you are a fan of dystopian and romance. For me, the main character made me mad sometimes but if you stay patient and trust the process the ending will be so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good series! I love these kinds of books, especially the dystopian aspects! I find it interesting how the author created new events in history to fit the transformation of the nation as a whole in her series! Thanks for the great book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book in stores and online! I wasn't sure if it was good or not but this review makes it seem like a great book! Thank you for going more in depth with the characters so that we know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce! Reading this review gave me soooo much nostalgia of when I read this series a couple years ago! I too was team Maxon--to be honest, I somewhat disliked Aspen. Though I do have to say I never got around to reading the 4th and 5th books, as I thought the 3rd book became a little drawn out, so I never picked up the next book; I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the rest of the series if you've finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all you guys! I would like to possible take a look at this book, as I am a lover of hunger games and like Mattox said it sound similar but with less dead an more romance( I personally also like romance books and movies). thanks you for going in depth with the characters and the setting.
    pretty good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a great book! I will try to find it sometime, (I like dystopian books a lot) and thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My honest opinion on Neal Shusterman’s Scythe

A Review of V. E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic