My honest opinion on Neal Shusterman’s Scythe

 





I love dystopian novels, anything from the genre I will read and probably enjoy. One day, I decided to read one of Neal Shusterman’s books, Unwind, which probably scarred me for life, so my brilliant brain thought “Hey! Why not read another” so here we are. 


Scythe takes place far in the future, where humans have eliminated hunger, disease, and even death. However, with the human population out of control, society created a force of people called “scythes” with licenses to kill, each having to glean a specific number of people each week. Scythes are treated as elite beings, because they are the sole causes of death in the world. Citra and Rowan are pulled from their friends and families to become apprentices to a scythe and have to learn the “art” of killing.


Ok, so… this book is hard to read. Scythe has been banned and challenged a lot and I 100% understand why, it is dark and gory at times (especially in the latter half), and this society has very different, and kind of screwed up, morals, though I don’t think it deserves to be banned. Scythe is well written and has themes that would be interesting to discuss. As much as I’ve talked badly about this book, I did enjoy it – well, as much as one can enjoy a book about death. The character development isn’t what you usually see in books and the plot is well thought out and has plenty of twists and turns to keep you hooked. I do recommend it to people who enjoy dystopian novels and are okay with violence and questionable morals.

Comments

  1. I've never read Shusterman but I appreciate the kind of literature he has to offer. Dystopias contain a fascination that I can't help but entertain but this one in particular has been recommended many times. It makes me wonder how does a world work where pain is no longer available as a weapon, except for a select few. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plot sounds really interesting! I find it interesting how they got rid of death to save people, but eventually had to kill people to save the population. This definitely sounds like an interesting read! Thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation! The plot is really different and I've never read anything like it before. I'm really curious about the plot twists, so I'm gonna have to check it out someday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review of The Selection

A Review of V. E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic