Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


      The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins will always be my favorite dystopian book series. I fell in love with the genre after reading it for the first time in 5th grade. It was like a whole new world I entered. Back then, I always thought that the main character, Katniss Everdeen, was so old. As I look back at it now, I realize she was so young, being only 16 at the time.

       The story centers around Katniss Everdeen who volunteers to take her 12 year old sister's place in the annual Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is a nationally televised event when one girl and one boy between the ages 12-18 are selected by lottery to participate in a fight to death until one remains. The last person alive gets awarded as the "victor" and gets to live in the wealthiest part of their district called the Victor's Village. The purpose of the Hunger Games is to remind each of the 12 districts the power and control the Capitol holds on the districts.

    The story is set in Panem, a futuristic area that was previously known as North America. The 12 districts that surround the Capitol each have their own industry while the districts closer to the Capitol are wealthier. District 12 is the poorest district in Panem, and has coal mining as their industry.

    One thing I really enjoyed about the book is how well Katniss's thoughts and emotions are portrayed. Though she can act really tough sometimes, she has a kind and caring side when it comes to the people she loves. The love she has for her sister, Prim, is expressed in the book frequently. Starting from when she volunteered for her sister in the beginning. I mean, Katniss literally sacrificed her life for her. I think Katniss is so brave and one of the strongest people in the book. She's smart and she uses her skills to survive in the arena. Even after her dad died when she was younger, she stays strong for her family and helps provide for them by hunting every day.

    This book will have you turning pages all night. I still remember the first time I read it, I couldn't stop thinking about it. The cliff hangers at the end of each book will have you dying to read the next book. Another best part about the books are the movies. After watching the movies and re-reading the books, I can't help but imagine the actors who were in The Hunger Games.

   I would recommend this book to people who enjoy dystopian novels with a touch of romance.

Comments

  1. I loved this book as a kid!! I think its one of few book series where i actually quite like the movies (the books are still are better though) Thank you for your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the hunger games was one of my favorite dystopian novels to read! this blog might convince me to read the new one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review of The Selection

My honest opinion on Neal Shusterman’s Scythe

A Review of V. E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic